Recently it has come to our attention that there are a lot of people on the market at the moment that don’t have a For Sale board outside their property. With the ever growing use of online marketing, is there still a place for the traditional humble For Sale board?
Some people see it as an annoyance but it is important to look at the positives of having a For Sale board, after all, it is an essential marketing tool to help generate interest and sell your property.
There are a number of reasons why you may choose not to have a For Sale board at your property:
“I don’t want the neighbours to know”
“I don’t want people to knock on the door”
“I don’t know why but I just don’t want one!”
First and foremost, if you want to sell your house quickly and for the best price, without any doubt, you need to show that you are motivated and serious about selling.
This is not only important for the seller but also the estate agent that’s working for you (there’s nothing worse than an agent working for a seller that appears not to be motivated).
As agents it is important for us to remain motivated and work with YOU, using all of the tools we have created since 1989, to attract the best price in the shortest time.
By not having a board, you are indicating to a potential purchaser that you are not serious about selling and potentially you are losing some of the best buyers …. if that makes sense?
We would suggest that you DO tell your neighbours what you are going to do as, in our opinion, your neighbours are spreading the good news that your house is available for sale. They are going to find out anyway shortly, so why not tell them your story before somebody else does?
The quicker the locals get to hear about your house coming onto the market, the quicker we will be able to gauge our marketing strategy…. and you never know whether somebody locally might just be teased into purchasing your property at a favourable price before someone else gets it – it does happen!
You’d be surprised how much information gets around by the milkman and postman – that’s a great advantage!
Years ago it was quite common for people to knock on the door as estate agents only worked until 5pm each day, or at best on Saturday mornings. With the internet and today’s technology enquiries can be made 24 hours a day 7 days a week – we are always available to respond to any enquiry.
If you still feel concerned that this may happen then we can place additional signage stating that ‘viewing is by appointment only’. We can also provide you with some of our business cards to hand to anyone that does approach your property. It is extremely rare nowadays.
There are more reasons why we suggest you have a For Sale board:
- A very high percentage of buyers will drive into an area and/or a specific street they want to live in and will quickly look for For Sale boards – we wouldn’t be surprised if you chose your last home by this method?
- If you look at it from a buyers point of view, when they enter the street we want them to concentrate immediately on your property and nobody else’s. There’s nothing worse than a potential buyer trying to find a property and then they see something else that puts them off the street or worse still, they see a neighbouring property for sale?
- If you think about it this also applies to a potential purchaser that we may have already spoken to or may have already seen the property on the internet – we want them to be able to find the property immediately.
- It goes without saying that if your potential buyer can’t immediately cast their eyes on your property because there’s no For Sale board then you run the risk of them missing yours and looking at the next available property on their list.
- It is also extremely important at the viewing appointment stage that the buyer is attracted only to your property when they approach your street – we don’t want your buyer being put off at this point by any other potentially negative distractions.
- One final, but very important point is, ‘is this seller serious about selling?’. This is a question that is regularly asked when a board is not present. A quality buyer will only want to offer on a property where the seller is genuinely serious about selling. It’s just one of those things.
Erecting a For Sale board is a cost to estate agents but it is probably one of the best 24 hour marketing tools you have available and unless you really have a very good reason why would you not want to take advantage of it?
At Campbells we respect your wishes if you really do not want a board.